Puch Maxi ready to Rock ‘n’ Bowl.

Rock n Bowl Puch

No visit to New Orleans is complete without making a stop at Rock ‘n’ Bowl. The venue is part music club and part bowling alley. Rock ‘n’ Bowl brings in local and regional R&B, blues, zydeco, and jazz artists and bands for live performances while you bowl—or not. Originally called Mid-City Lanes due to its proximity in that neighborhood, it moved in 2009 to its present location…just under a mile away from the old one. It’s open every day of the week except Sunday. Given the empty parking lot, it’s easy to guess what day the Puch Maxi went.

Discovering Gilmore Park.

gilmore park

One of the unexpected things about riding around New Orleans at 25 mph on a Puch moped is discovering places missed when passing by in a car. One of these is Gilmore Park…a smidgen of green space whose name is probably just known by the residents of the area. The park was named in 1903 for Samuel Louis Gilmore, a New Orleans native who at the time was serving as City Attorney. In 1909, Gilmore was elected a U.S. Representative from Louisiana’s 2nd District to the 61st Congress but died in office in 1910.

Notre Dame Seminary. Amen.

notre dame

Notre Dame Seminary was established as a free-standing seminary and graduate school by the Archdiocese of New Orleans. It prepares men for the ministerial priesthood in the Roman Catholic Church. The corner stone for the handsome chateau-like building was laid on May 7, 1922 and the seminary began functioning on September 18, 1923. No word on how many seminarians ride a Puch moped.

Plenty of silvery metal.

metal siding

Passed by this New Orleans building showcasing some gorgeous, metal shingles. These embossed tin shingles with their interesting patterns are likely the slate style, a signature design that was popular in the late 19th century onward. Tin-plate iron, also called tin roofing, was a low cost, light weight, low maintenance roofing material but few of these roofs remain intact today. This building actually uses them as siding—plus wrapped the portico, doors, and window casings with sheet metal—to create a one-of-a-kind look that mirrors the chrome of my Puch Maxi. No polishing required.

Honoring fallen veterans on Memorial Day.

Memorial Day is a United States holiday for remembering the people who died while serving in our armed forces. In New Orleans, many people visit memorials to honor those who have died in military service and place an American flag on graves. This memorial flagpole has a marker indicating it’s in honor of the men in armed services of WW II from the 13th ward, 4th precinct of New Orleans. It was dedicated on December 19, 1943 to mark one New Orleans neighborhood’s sacrifice in the war. After falling into disrepair, it was restored several years ago by Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8973, the New Orleans Lawn and Tennis Club, and neighbors.

Puch Maxi is a fan of lawn tennis.

lawn tennis

Established December 15, 1876, the New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club is the first and oldest tennis club in the US. Yes, the game is actually called “lawn tennis.” It was created by an Englishman in 1873. Seems some English cotton merchants working in New Orleans, having played the game in their homeland, recruited other lawn tennis enthusiasts to form the organization. NOLTC courts occupied various locations throughout New Orleans as its popularity grew. It moved to its current uptown clubhouse and facility in 1973. NOLTC is a private club and now looks to promote participation in the sport of modern, outdoor tennis.

Puch meets “The Great Compromiser.”

henry clay

Henry Clay was a statesman, leader of the Whig Party, and five times an unsuccessful U.S. presidential candidate. Although he represented Kentucky in both the U.S. senate and house, he played a central role in national politics until his death in 1852. He made numerous trips to New Orleans and to honor him, a statue was commissioned (at a cost of $50,000) to be placed in a public space to be called “Clay Square.” However, the statue never made it there. It was first erected on Canal Street in 1860, then in 1900, it moved to its present location in Lafayette Square.